Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Book Review: Perfect

 Title: Perfect

Author: Cecelia Ahern

Series: Flawed, 

Book 2

Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars


DNF @ 30% (did not finish)


I just can't do it anymore. Book 1 was so good for the first 40% and then sooo bad; and here's book 2 with even worse writing than the last half of book 1. If I didn't know any better I'd say that someone wrote the first half of book 1 and a totally different person wrote the rest and has carried into book 2. 

This is book 2 in a series that has a brilliant dystopian premise. Right up there with Divergent and Hinger Games for creativity and impact. Unfortunately the rest of it is painful. 


This series/book suffers from the very typical YA pitfalls: 

- the main love interest thinks he's better than everyone 

- the lead gal is whiny and annoying; except when it's convenient for her to be a strong leader, then she's suddenly super smart

- the interactions between characters are wooden and dull

- the handling of loosing a gal loosing her virginity is really, really poorly handled (as in mentioned but no emotional depth at all!!) 

- the adults are so dumb and easily played by this wussy lead teenager


It's like someone wrote down a list of all of the typical issues in YA books and incorporated them in. 


Did I mention that I'm truly disappointed as I really love, love, LOVE the premise of this world and I think there are some amazing, deep and philosophical things that could be done with the dystopian construct. A huge opportunity missed in my opinion. 



<i>Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.</i>

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh my, it's so sad to read this book is so bad...It sounds like CA maybe tried to copy a style of story she enjoys reading, but that doesn't suit her writing at all.